Four Themes in the Motivation Pillar:
1. Liking and Wanting
2. Healthy Passion
3. Inclining the Mind
4. Using Your Brakes
Topics covered in this pillar:
- Deepening self-awareness of responses to disturbances in the satisfaction system, including loss, frustration, disappointment, drivenness, and addiction.
- Why the mind is always looking for something new to want. “Delusional disappointment.”
- Neural circuitry of liking and wanting. How to like things without tipping into problematic wanting.
- Identifying, honoring, and supporting your own wholesome desires. How to pursue wholesome ends with wholesome means.
- How to internalize actual or anticipated rewards to increase positive motivation.
- Ways to strengthen impulse control.
- How to experience the pleasant without “going red” into chasing it.
- Enjoying the fullness of this moment.
2 Creative Activities
John Ratey Interview